What I love most about photography is not it’s ability to take an instantaneous selfie, or how easy it is to shoot in digital vs analogue of yesteryear, but the endless CREATIVE ways a photographer can play. While being able to create some of these effects in post production takes a bit of time and software maneuvering, getting the shot in camera prior to any manipulation is always a plus in this busy photographer’s lifestyle.
Let me introduce you to my latest favorite gadget, which create some pretty cool tricks in my portrait or landscape work.
A prism – a see through rectangular piece of glass, which refracts lights that enters it. It comes in various sizes, but mine is about 5 inches long. Obtained for less than $10, this nifty little guy is my latest obsession. Let me show you why:
By playing with the angle of the prism with one hand and holding the camera in the other hand, you can reflect the subject. You can also put your camera on a tripod, but with my portrait work, I find it too limiting, since I’m always moving angles, positions and perspectives.
Create a rainbow-like effect by playing with the angle of the prism on a sunny day.
The image above features a prism on the right-hand side. While in the image below, it is placed below the couple in the frame.
Another way to be playful with a prism, is to utilize it in your landscape photography. Set your camera to a long Shutter Speed, say 1 second, and move the prism in the lower section of the image in order to produce a result such as the one pictured below.
Have you had any experience with prism photography? Comment below!
If you enjoyed this post or found it helpful, spread the love in one or more ways below:
- Share this post on your social media sites with the lovely buttons below
- Follow me on any one of my social media networks here
- Sign up for my mailing list in order to get new updates straight to your mailbox
- If you are interested to have a photography session with me, get in touch via my Contact Form
- Support this photographer by visiting her cool online store, where you can purchase totes, wall art, pillows and more!